Here in Atlanta, winters can be mild, but that doesn’t mean homeowners should skip out on their annual heating maintenance needs.
However, heating maintenance is beneficial as long as it’s performed routinely.
Is It Ever Too Late To Schedule Heating Maintenance?
While fall and early winter are the best times for heating maintenance, it’s never too late to schedule a tune-up. Here’s why:
- Efficiency improvement: A well-maintained heating system operates more efficiently, reducing energy consumption and lowering utility bills. So, even when winter weather is here to stay, a tune-up can still significantly affect your system’s performance for the remainder of the season.
- Prolonged life span: Regular maintenance can extend the life span of your heating equipment. If you haven’t scheduled an annual tune-up, it’s not too late to prevent premature wear and tear by contacting a trusted HVAC professional for service.
- Enhanced safety: Safety should always be a priority. A late-season tune-up can catch potential safety hazards before they become dangerous problems, allowing you to enjoy improved safety, comfort, and peace of mind during the coldest days of the year.
Benefits of Annual Heating Tune-Ups
Sticking to an annual heating maintenance schedule can afford Atlanta homeowners many benefits, including:
- Lower energy bills: If your heating system operates efficiently, it won’t draw excess energy to maintain your comfort.
- Enhanced comfort: A properly maintained furnace or heat pump ensures consistent and comfortable temperatures throughout your home.
- Reduced risk of premature heating replacement: A well-maintained heating system will likely last for its projected life span so that you can plan for your replacement.
- Reduced heating repair needs: Preventative maintenance helps catch minor issues before they become hazards and major, expensive repair needs.
How To Prepare for a Heating Tune-Up
There are a few steps that you should take to ensure a smooth, stress-free process before your scheduled heating maintenance:
1. Clear the Area
Remove any obstructions or clutter around your heating equipment to provide easy access for the technician.
2. Change Your Air Filters
You should replace or clean air filters every one to three months. It’s an especially good practice when you turn on the heat for the first time in a while.
Clean filters improve airflow for enhanced HVAC efficiency and better indoor air quality.
3. Adjust Your Thermostat
When you’re ready to turn on the heat, set your thermostat from cool to heat with the fan on auto. When you do so, only raise the thermostat a few degrees.
If your heating system hasn’t run since the winter, it may take a bit to feel the warmth throughout your home.
4. Note Any Issues
Make a list of any heating system problems you’ve detected on your own — even if they seem minor. This list will help your technician address specific concerns.
Can I Maintain My Heating System Myself?
While there is no substitute for professional HVAC maintenance, there are some tasks that you can perform yourself that can help keep your furnace or heat pump in better working condition. These include:
- Clear space around the unit: Keep the area around your heating equipment clean and free of debris to ensure proper airflow.
- Monitor noisiness: Banging, screeching, and knocking are all signs you need heating services.
- Monitor strange odors: Don’t ignore rotten egg, mold, dust, or burning odors coming from your furnace or heat pump.
- Inspect vents: Ensure that return and supply vents are free from blockages, leaks, or damage.
- Check carbon monoxide detectors: Regularly test and replace the batteries in carbon monoxide detectors to ensure safety.
Sign Up for a Service Plan So You Never Forget Maintenance!
Keeping track of your heating system’s maintenance needs can be a daunting task. Luckily, United Air Temp makes it easy for Atlanta homeowners to keep their systems in proper working condition with our Full Service Agreement.
Through this membership, you’ll enjoy an annual 25-point heating inspection, along with other exclusive perks like:
- Annual air conditioning maintenance
- Priority service
- No trip charges
- No charge for emergency service
- No charge for service calls, repair parts, or labor
- Credit toward the purchase of a new system
- And more!