Emergency Burst Pipe Repair in Northern Virginia and Washington D.C.
With over 90 years in business, our team provides expert plumbing in the DC metro area to keep your plumbing in top condition for years to come.
When you call a UAT plumber, you’re guaranteed to work with reliable, honest, and trustworthy professionals who do the job right the first time.
If you have a burst pipe in your home, call United Air Temp plumber at (877) 552-8919 for a fast response and 24/7 emergency services.
Telltale Signs of a Burst Water Pipe
There are more visible signs of a ruptured water pipe, like a spray of water, and then there are less obvious signs that require a little more detailed attention. Be on the lookout for:
- A fluctuation in water pressure
- Discolored or rust-colored water that smells
- Visible mold
- Mildew smells
- Standing water in sinks and tubs
- Higher-than-normal utility bills
- Running water noises in the walls
Common Causes of Burst Pipes
Finding the cause of a burst pipe depends on the piping system, the age of your home, and the environment affecting your piping system.
Each home and each plumbing system needs to be individually inspected to determine the cause of your burst pipe. However, common causes include:
- Freezing: When temperatures drop, the water inside your pipes can freeze and expand the pipes, creating pressure that can cause the pipes to rupture.
- Tree root infiltration: Tree roots can infiltrate your water supply pipes and begin growing inside of your pipes.
- Rust and corrosion: Old pipes were often made of materials that weren’t corrosion-resistant and durable. When your piping system is outdated, you’re more susceptible to breaks in your pipes.
- Clogs: If your piping system is clogged with debris, then pressure can build up within your system, ultimately leading to cracks and breaks.
- Shifting soil: Homeowners are often unaware of how shifting soil due to rainfall can damage pipes over the years.
- High water pressure: It’s important to maintain your water pressure at just the right level. High water pressure can damage your pipes if it rises to 70 to 80 psi.
- Accidental damage: Accidents happen. Whether it’s due to a DIY fix or storm damage, we’re here to help restore your water supply.
What To Do if You Have a Burst Water Pipe In Your Home
UAT provides emergency services to restore your home’s water supply. If you’re experiencing a burst pipe in your home, here’s what you should do:
- Shut off your water: Locate your home’s main water valve and shut it off. It may be in your crawl space, around the water heater or furnace, under the kitchen sink, or in the basement.
- Disconnect electrical panel: Before cleaning up the water from your burst pipe, it’s important to disconnect your electrical panel to avoid electric shock. Your breaker box should be in your basement, utility closet, or garage.
- Turn on faucets to drain remaining water: Help relieve the pressure within your pipes by draining your system of the remaining water.
- Call United Air Temp: We provide emergency services to get your system back up and running safely and prevent other water-related damages.
- Document damage and contact your insurance company: Your insurance company may be able to cover the cost of repair or replacement. Document the damage to your property and review your policy to see if you have water damage coverage.
Burst Pipe Repair vs. Replacement
Repairing your water supply pipe will likely be the chosen solution unless your pipes themselves are outdated and worn beyond repair.
While all pipes experience wear and tear over time, materials like galvanized steel and copper have a shorter life span and are more susceptible to damage than modern PEX and CPVC piping.
Call Today if You Have a Burst Pipe in Washington DC or Northern Virginia
At United Air Temp, our honest and reliable professionals will work with you to find the right solution for your plumbing woes.
Whether we’re repairing a pipe leak before major water damage occurs or replacing your piping after they burst, you can rely on our team to ensure your home has a reliable water supply.
When you choose United Air Temp for burst pipe repair or replacement, you’re backed by a team of professionals willing to go the extra mile to find the right solution.