Sump Pump Services in Northern Virginia & Washington, DC
Planning for severe weather means preparing your home to withstand the storm. With an average of 30 tornados yearly, homeowners in the DC metro area see a lot of use out of their sump pump during heavy thunderstorms and floods.
At United Air Temp, we provide comprehensive sump pump repair, installation, and replacement to ensure that DC metro homes are well-protected against flood water and foundation damage.
As a leader in home comfort since 1931, you can trust our honest, reliable, and experienced technicians to provide plumbing services that will help you have peace of mind.
What Is a Sump Pump?
A sump pump system consists of a constructed pit that is dug below the level of your basement surface. The hole is then fitted with the electric sump pump that detects increasing water levels or pressures.
If there’s a flood and water levels rise, the sump pump automatically begins to collect and move water outside and away from your home using a discharge line.
There are two different kinds of sump pumps:
- Submersible sump pumps: These systems take up less square footage because they sit underwater in a sump pit. They work quickly and quietly to remove water and minor debris from spaces such as basements, yards, crawl spaces, and other areas during a flood.
- Pedestal sump pumps: These sump pumps are located on the floor inside of your home. They are easy to install and maintain and are a more affordable option.
Water-Powered vs. Battery Backup Sump Pumps
There are two types of backup systems that can keep your sump pump working during an electrical outage:
- Sump pump battery backup: A large battery can power your system when electricity is lost.
- Water-powered sump pump backup: This backup option uses your home’s water supply to power your sump pump without electricity.
Sump Pump Installation & Replacement in Washington, DC, & Northern Virginia
If you need to install or replace your sump pump, look no further than United Air Temp. Homes that need sump pumps include:
- Homes in flood zones
- Homes with poor drainage systems
- Homes with basements, crawl spaces, and patios
- Homes where the ground slopes toward your property rather than away
Your sump pump can provide up to 10 years of service with routine maintenance and testing. Invest in your home’s protection with professional sump pump installation.
Emergency Sump Pump Repair in DC & Northern VA
Having minor repairs completed on your sump pump ensures its reliability and effectiveness in removing flood water from your home. If your sump pump is displaying symptoms of malfunction, it’s important to get it inspected and repaired for flood preparedness.
Signs your sump pump needs repairs:
- Failure to automatically activate
- Strange sounds
- Continuous system operation
- Rust on the exterior
- No water in the pit
Choose United Air Temp for Sump Pump Services
At United Air Temp, our plumbers complete ongoing training to ensure we provide plumbing services you can rely on.
With upfront pricing and quality services, our team members are constantly working to guarantee your satisfaction.
We are committed to serving the DC metro community and our customers with the highest level of care with every job we perform.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sump Pumps
Should a sump pump always have water in it?
It can, but it’s not necessary. Often, this is because of recent rain, snow melting, or ground seepage.
Should a sump pump run continuously?
A sump pump should only run when the float is triggered. If it’s constantly running, it’s likely a malfunction that a professional plumber should inspect.
How often should I schedule maintenance for my sump pump?
We recommend scheduling maintenance for your sump pump on an annual basis. Most sump pumps do not need more than an annual inspection and adjustment.